The Distinguished Mid-Career Educator Award will be given to clinicians and/or MS/PhD educators who completed their training at least 6 years and no more than 20 years ago and have demonstrated teaching excellence at the national and/or international level. In addition to recognized skills as an excellent teacher, nominees for this award will need to provide clear documentation of consistent educational scholarship and significant contributions to surgical education that are recognized to have national and/or international impact.
Prior to proceeding with this nomination, the nominator will need the following information:
- Nominee’s CV
- Letter of nomination by a resident, faculty, education administrator, or anyone else with knowledge of the nominee’s teaching and educational scholarship.
- No more than 2 letter(s) of support from leaders in education-related national/international organizations to demonstrate nominee’s impact on surgical education.
- No more than 2 letter(s) of support from individuals mentored by nominee
- Documentation of teaching excellence in the form of an aggregate evaluation report (from MedHub, New Innovations, etc) from learners over the past 6 – 12 months.
Please be prepared to complete the following short essays:
- Please describe the nominee’s approach to teaching (their personal philosophy of teaching).
- Please describe something the nominee learned as a result of one of the educational development programs (such as the annual Surgical Education Week, Surgeons as Educators, or other programs) that they have attended that has changed the way they teach.
- Please describe the nominee’s scholarly work in surgical education including: teaching activities, curricular development, evaluation and assessment innovations, research, etc.
- Please describe a rewarding relationship the nominee had with a mentee including what they worked on and why it was gratifying.
The nominator will need to be prepared to complete the following regarding the nominee:
- List the education leadership roles (eg, program director, skills lab director, etc) that the nominee has or has had within their own institution.
- List the educational leadership roles (chair or co-chair of a committee, other formal leadership title) the the nominee has or has had in any national and international education-related organizations.
- List any education awards or honors that the nominee has received.